Download some of the publications here.
MONOGRAPHS & EDITED VOLUMES
- Art & Migration. Re-Making the World: Human Mobility, Border Violence, and Security Markets, special issue for PARSE Journal, University of Gothenburg, (co-edited with Erling Björgvinsson, Nicholas De Genova and Tintin Wulia).
- Keshavarz, M. (2019) The Design Politics of the Passport: Materiality, Immobility, and Dissent. London: Bloomsbury
- Schultz, T., D. Abdulla, A. Ansari, E. Canlı, M. Keshavarz, M. Kiem, L. Prado de O. Martins, and P. JS Vieira de Oliveira. (2018) Decolonizing Design, Special Issue for Design and Culture, Vol. 10, Issue 1.
- Keshavarz, M. (2016) Design-Politics: An Inquiry into Passports, Camps and Borders, Doctoral dissertation, Malmö University, 2016.
Keshavarz, M. & Svensson, M. (2014) The Asylum March Crafts Politics.Swedish and English. Malmö: Publication Studio Malmö
SELECTED ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- 2020. Violent Compassions: Humanitarian Design and the Politics of Borders, Design Issues. Vol 36 (4). Autumn 2020.
- 2020. Vulnerable Critical Makings: Migrant Smuggling By Boats and Border Transgression in Design and Political Dissent: Spaces, Visuals, Materialities. J. Traganou (ed.), London: Routledge
- 2020. Citizenship in Designing in Dark Times: An Arendtian Lexicon, C. Dilnot, V. Tassinari and E. Staszowski (eds.), London: Bloomsbury
- 2020. Partitioning Vulnerabilities: On the Paradoxes of Participatory Design in the City of Malmö in Vulnerable Encounters through Art and Media in Scandinavia. A.M. Dankus, M. Hyvönen and M. Karlssson (eds.) Palgrave McMillan (co-authored with Erling Björgvinsson). 247-265
- 2019. Targeted by Persuasion: Military Uniform and the Legal Matter of Killing in War, Law Text Culture, vol. 23: 223-239 (co-authored with Amin Parsa).
- 2019. The Politics of Borders in the Emergence of Modern Swedish Craft, Journal of Modern Craft. Vol.12 (1), (co-authored with Christina Zetterlund).
- 2018. Orientations of Europe: Boats, the Mediterranean Sea and the Materialities of Contemporary Mobility Regimes. Borderlands e-Journal. Vol. 17 (2), (co-authored with Eric Snodgrass).
- Keshavarz, M. (2019) Sketch For a Theory of Design Politics in Para-Platforms: On the Spatial Politics of the Right-Wing Populism, M. Meissen & Z. Ritts (eds.) Berlin: Sternberg Press.
- Keshavarz, M. (2018) Designers and Brokers of the Mobility Regime in Tricky Design: The Ethics of Things. T. Fisher & L. Gamman (eds.) London: Bloomsbury. pp. 45-58.
Keshavarz, M. (2018) The Violence of Humanitarian Design in Design Philosophy Reader. A-M. Willis (ed.) London: Bloomsbury. pp.120-127
- Keshavarz, M. (2018) Undesigning Borders: Urban Spaces of Borders and Counter-Practices of Looking in Undesign: Critical Perspectives in the Intersection of Art and Design. G. Coombs, G. Sade & A. Mcnamara (eds.). London: Routledge. pp.161-174
- Schultz, T., D. Abdulla, A. Ansari, E. Canlı, M. Keshavarz, M. Kiem, L. Prado de O. Martins, and P. JS Vieira de Oliveira. (2018) What is at stake with decolonizing design? A Roundtable. Design and Culture, Vol. 10, No. 1 (2018): pp.81-101.
- Keshavarz, M. (2016) Material Practices of Power – Part II: Forged Passports as Material Dissents, Design Philosophy Papers, Vol. 14, No 1-2, pp.3-18
- Keshavarz, M. (2015) Material Practices of Power – Part I: Passports and Passporting, Design Philosophy Papers, Vol 13, No.2, pp.97-113
- Keshavarz, M. (2015) Book Review: Design and The Question of History, Journal of Design History, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2015.
- Keshavarz, M. (2015) Design-Politics Nexus: Material Articulations and Modes of Acting, Nordes 2015: Design Ecologies, Stockholm
- Keshavarz, M. (2014) Uncræft: “The Unqualified”, “The Illegal” and the Making Practices of Roma in Keshavarz, M. & Svensson, M. (ed.), Asylstafetten: Crafts, Politics. Malmö: Publication Studio. 2014, pp. 14-26
- Keshavarz, M. & Zetterlund, C. (2013) A Method for Materialising Borders in Fahlén, E. (ed.), The Silent University - Tensta Reader #1. Stockholm: Tensta Konsthall. 2013, pp. 27-30
- Keshavarz, M. & Mazé, R. (2013) Design and Dissensus: Framing and Staging Participation in Design Research, Design Philosophy Papers, Volume 11, Issue 1
- Keshavarz, M. (2012) Design and the Political, in Zimm, M. (ed.), The Swedish Museum of Architecture: A Fifty Year Perspective. Stockholm: The Swedish Museum of Architecture. 2012, pp.131-132
- Keshavarz, M. & Patchineelam, V. (2012). Design and the Politics of Fear: an Auto-ethnography on Design Education, Zoonetechinca: The Journal of Redirective Design, Issue 2, June 2012
- Keshavarz, M. (2012). ‘Free Translation' as a Critical Method in Socio-Political Design Actions, in Human Cities, Civil Society Reclaims Public Space: cross perspectives based on research, Proceedings of Human Cities Symposium, Brussels, March 2012. P.77-83
- Keshavarz, M. (2011). Opening the Space of Experience: On Political Forms of Aesthetics in Design, Proceedings of EAD the 9th, Portugal, 4-7 May 2011